I don’t know what it is about the city, but I love it. I have basically been to NYC at least once a year since I met the bff. Most people when I tell them I’m going back to my second home, they laugh at me and can’t understand why I would go from one fairly busy city to another crazy busy city. To be honest, I don’t really know how to explain my love either. There’s just something different about NYC, the pace and the energy of the city is exhilarating.
I am so excited about going back there and I thought that I would make a quick list of my six favourite things to do in NYC!
- TIMES SQUARE!! – I know that almost everyone would tell you to avoid this place, it’s a tourist trap. Get in, take a picture if you must, then get straight back out. I normally would hate a place like this, so many people everywhere, pushing and shoving and packed. But for whatever reason, I absolutely LOVE Times Square! The lights, the people, the hustle. There is always something interesting to see. I always make it a point to come back here even if just for a little while.
- Broadway show – I love catching a Broadway Show any time I get the chance to. I haven’t been able to go to much, I saw Rent here and fell in love with it. I also got to see The Little Mermaid (it was AMAZING), Cinderella (it was meh, but the costume changes were amazing), and Wicked (LOVED IT!!) here. Now I’m trying to decide what I want to see next!
- Baked by Melissa – I first discovered this place on a random walk when it was just a hole in the wall. But they were so delicious and the cupcakes were absolutely adorable! Then I forgot the name of this place and where I found it. Finally found it again a few years later and now there are locations almost everywhere! Every time I go back, I need to make a stop for these delicious bite-sized cupcakes! And just found out that they now have bite sized macaroons!
- Dylan’s Candy Bar – This place I found out in the last couple of years and now and I have to go back every time I go back to NYC (I also found out they have a location in LA when the bff and I decided we wanted to spend a day at Farmer’s Market/the Grove!). Their gummy bears are the best gummy bears I have ever had. I always go back and stock up for the year not only for myself, but for a few other friends too! Basically any time one of us goes to NYC, we make it a point to pick up a bag of this stuff for the other 🙂 It’s an addiction!!
- The Strand – I randomly discovered this place on one of our visits long ago. I love this book store with all the books on everything; some are used, some new, and even some rare ones. I don’t usually get anything because I would hate to have to lug it all around with me the whole day and then back home. But I still love just browsing and looking around and enjoy the other book lovers out there. One of these days I will go there at the end of the day and hope I find something I really want!
- Central Park – This one is a given. I love coming to Central Park, as much as I love the city with all its bustling and noise, I love going into Central Park and how the noise just dies away and all of a sudden, it’s so peaceful and quiet. Either walking around and getting lost, or just sitting down and people watching, this is one of my most favourite places. Last year, we finally found our way to the little zoo and I was so excited to visit the place that Princess Mia went to get away from reality when she first found out she was a princess!
Basically every time we go back there, these six things are on my “must do” list. But there are so many more places to go and things to do. Every time I come back to New York is a new adventure, with new things to do. There’s still a pretty long list of places and things I want to do, working on slowly adding a couple in with each return visit!
Have you gone or do you live in NYC? What are some of your favourite things to do there? Let me know in the comments 🙂