It’s another Top Ten Tuesday, a weekly book meme by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s theme is ten characters I would name my children/pet/whatever after. I’ve already named my pets after tv/book characters; my first Betta fish was named Grissom from the original CSI series, and two of my three cats are also named after favourite characters – Mia after Princess Mia Thermopolis from the Princess Diaries series and Kensi after Kensi Blye from NCIS: LA.
Anyway, I thought it would be fun to do a top ten list instead of pets I would like to have from books and tv/movies. It was much harder than I had expected since with the exception of Harry Potter, my favourite shows and books don’t actually feature a lot of animals or pets. I really had to think back to childhood books on this one. So here are my top ten:
- Archimedes from The Once and Future King by T.H. White. I just started reading this over the long weekend and I am hooked. I’m also kind of in love with Archimedes the owl.
- Fawkes from the Harry Potter series. Phoenixes are so beautiful and I love their loyal nature (in Harry Potter anyway…). The magical properties are a bonus.
- Hedwig from the Harry Potter series. I know I am cheating here with the next few, but Harry Potter gave us a lot of pets that I would love to open up my home to.
- Buckbeak from the Harry Potter series. Buckbeak looks mean, but he’s a softie on the inside, kinda like Hagrid. As long as you treat him with respect. And why wouldn’t you treat all your pets with respect anyway?
- Crookshanks from the Harry Potter series.
- Abu from Aladdin. He was so mischievously cute and pretty sassy for a monkey. Ever since I saw Aladdin, I wanted to have Abu as a pet.
- Fat Louie from the Princess Diaries series. Though my Mia is basically Fat Louie minus the sock eating habit.
- the Rats of NIMH. I admit it, I was totally in love with Justin from the animated adaptation when I was much much younger. But I always thought that they would be pretty cool to have as pets, the idea that your pets could answer you back.
- Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. I don’t know why Eeyore was always my favourite, but he was and I want him.
- Littlefoot from the Land Before Time series. Or the raptors from Jurassic World, they were just so cute when they came back to save Owen in the end. Basically I want a dinosaur as a pet. I’m assuming I’m not the only one.