It’s another Top Ten Tuesday, a weekly book meme by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s theme is ten characters I would name my children/pet/whatever after. I’ve already named my pets after tv/book characters; my first Betta fish was named Grissom from the original CSI series, and two of my three cats are also named after favourite characters – Mia after Princess Mia Thermopolis from the Princess Diaries series and Kensi after Kensi Blye from NCIS: LA.
Anyway, I thought it would be fun to do a top ten list instead of pets I would like to have from books and tv/movies. It was much harder than I had expected since with the exception of Harry Potter, my favourite shows and books don’t actually feature a lot of animals or pets. I really had to think back to childhood books on this one. So here are my top ten:
- Archimedes from The Once and Future King by T.H. White. I just started reading this over the long weekend and I am hooked. I’m also kind of in love with Archimedes the owl.
- Fawkes from the Harry Potter series. Phoenixes are so beautiful and I love their loyal nature (in Harry Potter anyway…). The magical properties are a bonus.
- Hedwig from the Harry Potter series. I know I am cheating here with the next few, but Harry Potter gave us a lot of pets that I would love to open up my home to.
- Buckbeak from the Harry Potter series. Buckbeak looks mean, but he’s a softie on the inside, kinda like Hagrid. As long as you treat him with respect. And why wouldn’t you treat all your pets with respect anyway?
- Crookshanks from the Harry Potter series.
- Abu from Aladdin. He was so mischievously cute and pretty sassy for a monkey. Ever since I saw Aladdin, I wanted to have Abu as a pet.
- Fat Louie from the Princess Diaries series. Though my Mia is basically Fat Louie minus the sock eating habit.
- the Rats of NIMH. I admit it, I was totally in love with Justin from the animated adaptation when I was much much younger. But I always thought that they would be pretty cool to have as pets, the idea that your pets could answer you back.
- Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh. I don’t know why Eeyore was always my favourite, but he was and I want him.
- Littlefoot from the Land Before Time series. Or the raptors from Jurassic World, they were just so cute when they came back to save Owen in the end. Basically I want a dinosaur as a pet. I’m assuming I’m not the only one.
It’s another Top Ten Tuesday hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s theme is top ten books on my Fall TBR list. So here are mine:
I have re-started my Harry Potter re-read-a-thon ever since Cursed Child. I got through the first three books easily, but I find that I’m dragging myself reading GoF because I know bad things are about to go down and I can’t stomach it…but I’m determined to get through this one and the rest of the series!! So my first four books on this list are from the Harry Potter series:
1. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
3. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
I went on another little shopping spree on bookoutlet.ca, it wasn’t even supposed to be for me but there were so many books that sounded interesting and then it became a mini shopping spree for me! I actually got the following books in the mail yesterday (with the exception of The Book Thief – I just keep meaning to get to it and then I don’t…), so I thought I would add these to my TBR list.
5. The Book Thief
6. The Anatomist’s Wife
9. Oh! You Pretty Things
10. love in lowercase
I can’t wait to see what you guys are all planning on reading this Fall season!
It has been a very long while since I did a top Top Ten Tuesday hosted by the ladies over at The Broke and The Bookish. This week’s theme is a semi-freebie, All About Audio.
When I was in high school, my editor had asked me if I could do a quick new music review to add into the newspaper as we needed something to fill up space. I said I could do something about the Boys, they had just released a new album some weeks earlier and he looked at me like I was joking. When he realized I wasn’t, he told me no and gave the job to someone else!! I was crushed. So this is for my grade 10 self, this week I am doing a compilation of my top ten favourite Backstreet Boys music videos.
I’ll Never Break Your Heart – original version
I loved this video so much back in the day when it first came out. It was like the most romantic thing as a 13 year old – Brian’s broken heart in the snow, the rose…I wanted to be one of those girls so damn bad! I remember that when they remade the video, I was so upset because this was just the best thing ever. Years later, it’s still one of my favourite videos.
Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely
This video will always hold a special place in my heart because of what it meant to the Boys. I remember watching the opening sequence with Brian and just bawling like a baby, the homage to Kevin’s dad, the dedication to Denniz Pop, who helped pen so many of their greatest hits. I still get teary eyed watching this and I loved that they shared such a personal part of their lives with the fans.
As Long As You Love Me
Nothing has created more giddy fangirling in me than this video. This was Nick Carter at the height of his perfection to me. Even now, when this song comes on the radio, I am filled with giddy giggles. I loved that they did the serious Boys and then the fun Boys. That this was the video where Brian met his future wife. Nick’s little “written in your history” hand gesture. The chair dance. The morphing. Super giddy.
All I Have to Give
This song was pretty close to eliciting the same fangirl giddiness in me. Nick’s smile while he sings “but I’ll be there to make you smile” would melt my heart each and every time. Plus the hat dance. The silhouetting.
I loved that this video felt more like it was a little mini movie than a music video! It was so suspenseful and scene transitions from one Boy to the next, the mask ripping and realizing Howie wasn’t Howie! It was the greatest video ever.
Shape of My Heart
I don’t know what it is about this video. They’re really not doing much other then auditioning for a play or something or watching someone auditioning. But I think the blue tint plus the song itself is just so beautiful to me. And I love watching Nick fooling around and laughing with the other guys.
Quit Playin’ Games (With My Heart)
This video made me laugh, the dancing in the rain, the “I don’t know what you’re doing, but I like it” faces/poses that they were making. I think this is more nostalgia than me loving the video. But the dancing in the rain was pretty great 🙂
Show ‘Em (What You’re Made Of)
I loved how raw and naked the Boys were in this, it’s just so simple when you compare it to the other videos they have done. Plus the song lyrics are so great, I love that this was written by Kevin and AJ for their kids. It has such a beautiful message.
I really liked that this video played with the different speed motions, with a juxtaposition of normal speed with the background sped up or the slo-mo and then sudden speed up. I remember watching the interview about this and being really interested in the concept of the video. Plus I also just really like this song and what Brian had said about this song being the song he would pick for fans to serenade him with. It just really stuck with me.
I love the videos where they look like they’re just hanging out and having fun, and that was this video. Nick is pretty obsessed with the Japanese culture and I feel like this video is all him.
Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)
How can I have a list of top BSB music videos without including Backstreet’s Back? Just the little ending clip where they’re all screaming is enough. But the dancing, the costumes.
It’s another Top Ten Tuesday! This book meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s theme is Ten Books I Picked Up On A Whim. I always enjoy browsing randomly in a bookstore just to see what they have. Sometimes I’ll pick up a book because the title intrigues me or the cover art is cute/interesting or when they have the deckle edges. Sometimes I end up with a great book and sometimes not so much. Here are my top ten books that I picked up on a whim.
- Harry Dresden by Jim Butcher- after Harry Potter, I needed to fill that gap; I wanted another series because I love series books. I found this one and now I’m hooked to see what happens next! I’m a couple of books behind right now, but I like to imagine that this is somewhat like the adult version of Harry Potter.
- House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski – I can’t remember what made me pick up this book; it was probably on display and I flipped through it and it looked so interesting with its bizarre layouts. I just started reading this and so far it’s ok.
- Enchanted Inc by Shanna Swendson – This book was just so cute, I picked this up without even reading the back as I am prone to do. This ended up being one of my all time favourites. I have recommended this book to all my friends who love Harry Potter and Chick Lit. Plus, this book has one of my all time favourite fictional crushes of all time, Owen Palmer.
- Level 26 by Anthony E Zuiker- the only thing I knew about this book was that the creator of one of my favourite shows, CSI, wrote this first time ever digi-novel. I love the concept of not only being ble to read it, but then also be immersed within the book online. This book is pretty freaky. And then they introduced the character on to the show! I’m just sad they never finished the story line on this character on the show!
- Blindness by Jose Saramago – So I started reading this book and then it got really dark and I had to skip to the end to know that it gets better. Sometimes when a book gets too “bad” for me, I get really anxious and I need to know that happens next to make sure that it’s not going to be depressing as hell. And sometimes when I do this, I end up losing interest in the book. Which happened here. But then I saw the movie and I loved it so much that I ended up picking it back up again and I am so glad that I did. This is among one of my favourite books.
- Be Careful What You Wish For by Alexandra Potter – this book was another that the cover was just so cute that I had to have it. I ended up falling in love with this book and am in the process of getting my hands on all of them. So far I have about four of her books and I love them all.
- The Strain by Guillermo del Toro – this to me is one of the most terrifying concepts of what a vampire is. I don’t know why I picked it up, I haven’t really seen any of Guillermo del Toro’s works when this first came out. Of course this book is now a tv show. I haven’t seen the show yet, I really meant to get on that when it first came out but I have so many shows already!!
- The History of Love by Nicole Krauss – I haven’t actually read this one yet, but I liked the title of it, so I picked this one up. I will get to this eventually.
- Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson – I got this book purely because it had the deckle edges. Now it’s a big movie with Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth. I confess I haven’t seen the movie yet. I don’t know why, I loved the book, but I don’t really want to see the movie.
- One Day by David Nicholls – I saw the cover of this and it looked interesting. The description of it sounded really interesting too. I didn’t love the book though, I don’t know if I wasn’t in the mood for it when I did read it or what. It was fine, I just didn’t love it.
It’s another TTT hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Today’s topic is Ten Websites I Love That Aren’t About Books.
- What Happens on the Backstreet – I love this site with all it’s bsb news, and lots of bsb related lists
- Vegan Beauty Review – these next four, when I started my vegan journey earlier this year, have been so instrumental in helping me find cruelty free and natural products and help me plan better meals
- Cruelty Free Kitty
- The Simple Veganista
- It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken
- Boho Berry – I adore visiting Boho Berry and PTL; they have the most beautiful and creative ways to journal and I love seeing how they’ve set up their jouornals, new ideas, and all the little creative gems they come up with.
- Passion Themed Life
- Murderpedia – I can be pretty morbid sometimes and this site does not help. But I love knowing all the gorey little details, reading through all the court documents, etc.
- Cat vs Human – this site makes me happy that I am not the only one who experiences these things with my cats!
- Listverse – and because I love a good list, they have lists for everything and they’re so interesting to read. I get to learn something new every day.